Monday, April 18, 2011

Playing it safe

 {source}

Sometimes I feel like I play it too safe. I may have the best intentions, but more often than not I find myself retreating to a place of comfort rather than a place of yes. Perhaps in my mind, the most perfect weekend would include exploring a new place, bringing a picnic lunch, and getting lost in our adventure. Instead though, it seems easier to sit on the couch and watch another episode of a favorite show, or cook the same meal we had last Sunday.

My best self ventures out, follows through with the dreams I have in my head, and always always tries new things. She says yes more than no, and isn't one to turn down an invitation. So why lately have I found myself getting stuck in a rut?  When I get like this, my spirit feels heavy and life doesn't appear to be as sweet as it really is. Luckily, spring is here, and with that gust of warmer air comes a renewed sense of self, inspiration to get outdoors, and more daylight to accomplish the most exciting of plans.

Now that I am the mama to a one day rambuntious boy, I need to start exercising my adventurous spirit. I want to be a good example to him, I want to be sure he grows up feeling wild and free, like I did.  And maybe with the right outlook, he'll manage to keep his adventurous spirit alive for all time. Mine's there, but just hidden under layers of comfort and routine. So -

Here's to taking impromptu day trips, with the windows down and the music up!
Here's to picnic lunches by the creek and long walks shaded by the springtime branches!
Here's to quick stops to check out roadside attractions!

Carnivals! Beaches! Farms and parks!
Parades, antique shops and fruit stands.

I'm looking forward to slowly but surely becoming more adventurous, and I hope you'll join me. I'm excited to reawaken some of my child-self, and live life a little more fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment