Sunday, April 19, 2009

cooking/baking from tonight

Hi everyone! I wanted to share two recipes I made tonight, both very healthy and delicious (the muffins were even approved by my hubby and Dustin!) -

the muffins i cooked tonight

Applesauce Oatmeal muffins (Clean Eating cookbook!)

1 cup dry, old-fashioned oatmeal flakes
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 egg whites, beaten (or n-r-g egg replacer for vegan)
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
2 tbsp + 1 tsp canola oil
1 tbsp baking poweder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup dried, fruit juice sweetened cranberries
1/4 cup non-sugared raisins

Prep:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees, line muffin tin with papers
2) Combine oatmeal, applesauce, egg (or replacer), flax and oil in a medium bowl. In another bowl, combine dry ingredients (everything else) including fruit. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into it. Stir until all ingredients are just combined.
3) Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full, bake 15-20 minutes and cool! YUM!

Makes 12 muffins!
Per muffin: 120 cal, 3g protein, 20g carbs, 3g fiber, 3g sugar, 3g fat, 17mg sodium!

After I made the muffins I decided to make a turkey loaf (much to my veggie hubby's dismay. ;) I didn't get this from a cookbook, I made up the recipe myself so I don't have exact measurements but it's not too precise. It kind of looks gross but it's so so SO good! AND, if you don't eat meat you can substitute TVP (textured vegetable protein).

turkey loaf for lunch this week

1 pound lean, ground turkey (organic and hormone free! And don't forget you can sub TVP!)
1 cup dry, old-fashioned oatmeal flakes
1 whole onion (I love onion so I add a LOT)
1 egg white
1 tbsp ground flax
organo, basil, sea salt, pepper to taste!

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Mix all ingredients into a bowl
3) Put into a casserole dish, make into meatballs, burgers etc. Your choice!
4) Bake for about 30 minutes or so, just be sure if you're using meat the inside isn't pink at all.

It really is yummy and if you do the meatballs you can add them to soup too.

Enjoy!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment