Tuesday, August 4, 2009

First day back at work

Today was an awesome day! I got to see all my teacher gal pals I've missed over the summer and start getting my room and plans ready for Monday. I really enjoy my job and feel very fulfilled with the work I do- it's a good feeling. I'm actually excited for the new year to officially begin; I have tons of new ideas and great books to read with the kids. I'm such a nerd. If any of you have any favorite poems, short stories, quotes, or anything literature related feel free to pass them my way! This year I'm really focusing on getting out of the textbook and into "real life," exposing them to tons of new stuff that maybe wouldn't always see in an English classroom. I usually have this mentality, but now that it's my 4th year I am finally pretty on my game and understanding what I am doing so I can change some things up and feel comfortable. Of course I still love all of the classics but I think with this generation's mindset it's best to really mix it up with lots of new and old together. The kids love it.

So today was awesome. Hank came by towards the end of my day with an iced green tea which was so sweet. I ran some errands after work- Barnes and Noble to pick up a book I had on hold and Manzanita for a new Camelbak bottle. I got home and made some (delicious) homemade hummus, and was all ready to make tabouli...and realized we were out of lemons and I had used all the fresh mint. Bummer. I hate when I do that. I settled for cereal. Double bummer. The rest of the night was a little hectic- HOTW is having van issues, but I won't even go into that. I just hope it all works out. Amber came by around 9:30 and we spent an hour or so "speedwalking" around downtown. I swear, we look like little old ladies, but its a fun way to get moderate exercise and girl talk in at the same time. Plus, tomorrow morning is early gym time so getting some outdoor time was good.

Tomorrow is a full day in my classroom, and I'll use most of the day for planning and getting prepared. Hank will hopefully be on tour by then (I say hopefully only because I hope the van deal gets sorted out).

For now, off to bed! Goodnight :)

my classroom - I have some work to do in here...and please note those dirty smudges on the white part of the wall. That is where the kids lean back. GROSS!

first day back in my classroom...5 days to get it re-ready for the kids' arrival!

stoked on Hank's gift of green tea!<3

the best husbands are the husbands who drop off iced teas

No comments:

Post a Comment