Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tattoo Tuesday V.14

This week I am happy to feature one of my blog buddies, Caitlin! She's a psychology student living in Sacramento, CA and is the sweetest little thing. She has a bunch of tattoos, including a cover up in the works, and I think you'll definitely enjoy her feature. Also be sure to swing by her blog and take a peek at her world. Thanks again, Caitlin, for being a part of this!



Name and blog name: Caitlin (http://caitlinhomesweethome.blogspot.com/)

Tattoo/location: Dia De Los Muretos sugar skull on my right fore arm/ditch area.

Artist/shop/location: Jesse at Royal Peacock Tattoo in Sacramento,CA



1) Tell us about the tattoo you are sharing with us- is there a background story or special meaning? Why did you choose this particular piece of art?

A long time ago I sadly had a very traumatic miscarriage. I knew the second I got through the ordeal I wanted to commemorate it. I didn't want to get a typical memorial type tattoo. I have always enjoyed the way Mexican culture celebrated the death of loved ones durring Dia De Los Mueretos as opposed to mourn. I looked up a few key items I wanted involved in the tattoo (flowers, I had originally picked out marigolds, a rattle and a bonnet and a coffin) and let Jesse do his thing, since he specializes in this type of art.

2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where?


I have a ton of tattoos. I am working on two full sleeves. My left arm is dedicated to family. I have my mom and my dad up there (Dad gets a 40s aviator pin up bust with propeller and mom got the Claddagh). My right arm is a big work in progress. I am covering a lot of stuff on my fore arm. My right arm is going to be a big Japanese piece. I have always had a love of Japanese art. Most likely because my Granny was a big Japanese art collector. I also have a chest piece that says "Never Enough." And "Istinit Ljubav," Croatian for "True Love" on my wrists.







3) Do you plan on getting more?

I do plan on getting more. As I go through life there are more events I want to commemorate. I also plan to add to my family arm my grandparents. I would like to start some pieces on my thighs and my ribs.

4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them?

My mom cried when I showed her my first tattoo (I was 16 year old, I got a traditional rose on my shoulder blade). She says now she doesn't even notice them. My Baba (grandma) sometimes asks me why I like having those "things" all over me. My uncle has been pretty negative. My dad never said anything about them. The most blatent negativity I have run into is with people I don't even know. I have been singled out in stores as a thief (along with other tattooed friends), I have been called a "bitch" because I didn't stop and explain my tattoos to people. I have come to just ignore them. I really don't like when people grab my arm and start helping themselves. I also hate when people stare at me as though I am a painting hanging on a gallery wall. My biggest pet peeve is "does it hurt?" I told a girl once it didn't at all and she believed me. Yes, no matter where you get tattooed its going to hurt, certain places just hurt less.



5) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

WAIT! RESEARCH! Know what you want and know that it will be there FOREVER!!! All of my friends hate at least one thing about their tattoos. I wish I would have stuck to 3/4 sleeves and didn't tattoo my entire chest. I wish I would have thought about the what if I wanted a professional career some day. There will always be people that wont take you seriously, or think you are un-lady like because of your tattoos. So be sure you want one and be doubly sure you want one visible!!! I think another girl said this, you may have to spend money to get good work. Do not settle for something that is just cheap. I would steer clear of boyfriends names and such. Make sure you know the history behind what you are getting (ie. Kanji, Japanese tattoo work, the animals and flowers all have meanings).

No comments:

Post a Comment