Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tattoo Tuesday V.34

This week I am featuring Mandy, who runs a blog that I've recently begun reading and really fallen in love with! She's also an expecting her first child, and she and her husband have built a truly beautiful life together that she documents daily. I find her posts to be fun and inspiring, and I hope you all take a minute and head over there and say hi! I'm always happy to meet other mamas and mamas-to-be, but tattooed mamas-to-be are even better! ;) So thanks Mandy, for sharing your photos and words with us!


Name and blog name: Mandy from "She Breathes Deeply" mandysuzannereid.blogspot.com

Age: 24

Occupation: I am a nanny to twin babies and I am also currently in training to be a Christian Yoga Instructor.

Age of first tattoo: 19

Favorite tattoo: My favorite tattoo is the one right below my collarbone. It says, "Elle respire profondément". It means "She Breathes Deeply" in French.

Featured tattoo/location: "Elle respire profondément." This tattoo is significant to me because of what it represents. A couple years ago, I was watching a french film that told a story of a girl, and how she turned a page in her life and came into her own, so to speak. There is a line in the film that says, "Elle respire profondément" (she breathes deeply), as she crosses a "bridge" to her new found life. I felt like that statement was very accurate about how I felt I was leaving the past behind, and embracing new life. This tattoo represents that stage in my life. It is located on my collar bone.

Artist/shop/location of feature tattoo: Icon Tattoo/ Nashville, TN



1) Tell us about the tattoo you are sharing with us- is there a background story or special meaning? Why did you choose this particular piece of art?

I have a tattoo on my right upper arm that says, "Songs of Songs 8:6". I had this tattoo done when I was 19. I wanted to get it in honor of my husband I knew I would have someday. Song of Songs 8:6 is from the bible and says, "Place me like a seal on your heart, for love is stronger than death." It means a lot more to me now, as I am married to a wonderful man!

2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where?

Yes, I have "Beloved" written down my left forearm. This was my first tattoo, and it will always be one of my favorites, no matter how many I get. I chose "Beloved" because my name means "Beloved by God."

Down my right forearm I have four shooting stars. Unfortunately, there is no special meaning behind this tattoo. I am considering changing them up.

On my left shoulder blade I have a tattoo that says, "Cousin Jumeau" (Twin Cousins) with a cute diamond centered underneath. My cousin and I used to look very similar growing up. We used to fancy ourselves twins. We also had an unhealthy obsession of the Marilyn Monroe movie, "Gentleman Prefer Blondes", in which she sings "Diamonds are a girls best friend." Hence, the diamond.


3) Do you plan on getting more?

Oh, yes, I do plan on getting more! I go through stages when I am like, "eh, I think I am done with tattoos." That always passes quickly.

I am currently pregnant with our first child. If it is born a girl, we want to name her "Lily Beloved." I would love to get lilies tattooed as a quarter sleeve on my left shoulder/left upper arm. If it's a boy, Elliot Lane, I want to get something that would commemorate his birth and significance in my life as a momma. Also, I would love to get part of of my husbands vows written down my left arm. They are such beautiful words, and I want my children to see their daddy and my love written out and lived out for all to see.


4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them?

My family is great about my tattoos! Whether they like them or not, they have always been polite and supportive. I think at first it was a bit of a shock. But my family stands firm behind believing it doesn't matter what's on the outside, it's on the inside is what counts. My husband is the most supportive of my tattoos. Even though he doesn't have any, he loves all of mine. He says that he thinks of them just being apart of my skin. That being said, I do have to photoshop pictures I send to my 93 year old grandmother. I am not sure that tattoos would sit well with her, and I would rather not offend a cute little old lady!

I have run into some adversity and negativity because of my tattoos from strangers. I live in the south, and tattoos on a girl stick out like a sore thumb. One instance: I was at dinner with my mom and sister one night. A middle aged gentleman, the next table over started making some obviously loud statements about how he disagreed with people that have tattoos, and how on earth a mother could ever condone it. I shrugged it off, but my mother was about to punch the lights out of that man for talking about her daughter!

Mainly though, I get really positive feedback about my tattoos from strangers. People are just curious and they want to know about them and what their meanings are. I take it as a huge compliment when a stranger asks about them.

5) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

Yes. Really think about what you are going to get. Don't get a tattoo JUST to get a tattoo. Get tattoos that are significant to you. For instance; the most important and sustaining things in my life are my faith in Jesus, my husband, and my child. I want art and text that represents who I am and what I believe in. I mean, as much as you love that cute Tinker Bell tattoo you found online, it may be safe to say that it may not be as significant to you in 30 years. Or maybe it will. : ) Just think about it.

Secondly, if you get tattoos that are going to be visible to others, be prepared to answer questions on a daily basis. People are just curious. Just think of yourself as a walking art museum.


No comments:

Post a Comment