Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tattoo Tuesday V.37

This week I am featuring cutie pie Erica! Be sure to pop over to her blog and say hello. I think you'll love her great photos and posts. Thank you so much Erica for being a part of this feature!


Name and blog name: Erica Schrag / I am a fun girl

Age: 26

Occupation: Social Media Relations Manager

Age of first tattoo: 18

Favorite tattoo: Panther on my right thigh that I like to call Blackie, haha

Featured tattoos/locations:

* Panther, right thigh (Bert Krak, Top Shelf Tattoo, New York, NY)
* Dear John Letter, right arm (Bob Roberts, Spotlight Tattoo, Los Angeles, CA)

1) Tell us about the tattoo(s) you are sharing with us - is there a background story or special meaning? Why did you choose this particular piece of art?


There is no meaning to this tattoo at all. I got it because it's something I always thought would look incredibly sexy. I flew to NY to get it done with my good friends who all get tattoos from Bert. The lines are so thick and heavy handed. It's straight up traditional. Bert's work really stands apart. It's so simple and clean. Aesthetically it's a really pleasing tattoo.


I was married for a year to a Swedish man. There's an amazing LA musician named Obi Best (http://www.myspace.com/obibest) who sings a song called, "Swedish Boy." It sums up everything accurately.

I got this tattoo shortly after my husband left me. We were supposed to be moving overseas together. He went back home to set things up for us and a week later he sent me a letter saying he didn't love me anymore and it was over.

Not to get all Lifetime, but it was very therapeutic for me. Bob assured me that the marriage ending wasn't the end of the world. He also offered to give me a shave that made me look 10 years younger. He had me laughing, smiling and feeling beautiful again despite things feeling really dark at the time.

2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where?

My right arm is covered in pieces I've collected as I've learned (about tattooing) along the way.




Snake and dagger: Rockabilly Ray, Tinta Rebelde, Hollywood, CA

Praying hands out of a coffin: Rockabilly Ray, Tinta Rebelde, Hollywood, CA

Anchor with a banner that says Dad: Kaz, New York Adorned, NY, NY

Flapper girl with pinup spider legs: Nick Rodin, True Tattoo, Hollywood, CA

Rose on my shoulder cap: Tyler Denesy, Seven Seas Tattoo - San Diego, CA

Sparrows on my chest: some biker shop in North Port, FL that I'm sure is closed down. I had to have them fixed by Kaz at NY Adorned - NY, NY

I have scripture on my back in Greek from the book of Acts in the New Testament.
It reads, "In Him we live and move and have our being/breathe."
No name shop in New Port Richey, FL

Love Free: Rockabilly Ray, Tinta Rebelde, Hollywood, CA

3) Do you plan on getting more?

I plan on being completely covered, but I'm completely on a budget. I'd love to get more work done by Bert Krak as well as explore all the great tattoo artists here in Atlanta - I've got my eye on Jason Kelly's work at Memorial Tattoo, and Danielle at Only You Tattoo.

4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them?

Things are a lot differently now than they were almost 10 years ago. When I got my first tattoo I was actually kicked out of Bible College. The long and short - there was a strict no tattoo policy at the school. I knew this an opted to get one on spring break anyway. An older girl in the dorms saw it and ratted me out to the dean of students. It was a weird and very political situation. They had me write a 10 page disciplinary paper on why I chose to break the rule. I was a good kid! I just liked tattoos! I guess the paper wasn't convincing enough because they gave me the boot.

All the jobs I've ever had have been more than accepting of my tattoos, but I've also worked all jobs within entertainment / creative. Like I said, 10 years ago things were a little different. I think tattoos are pretty main stream now.

5) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

Good tattoos are similar to investing in pieces of art. They cost money and it takes time to build a collection. Research tattoo artists as if you were buying a piece of fine art. Get to know their background and style. Travel to get tattooed if need be. Plan -- invest! Some of the best tattoos are old tattoos - from people who have spent years traveling the world and collecting!

No comments:

Post a Comment