Thursday, June 24, 2010

Fun with Old Wives' Tales

image via weheartit

Since we are finding out the gender of the little one tomorrow morning at 10am, I thought it would be fun to list 10 of the traditional old wives' tales (via parenting.com) for gender prediction, and see how they match up with the reality of our ultrasound tomorrow. Interestingly enough, today we ate lunch at Hugo's, and one of the cooks there, Manuel, told me I was having a little girl. He's usually right, but you really never know. As for me, if I had to put money on one or the other right now I'd say girl, but that inkling changes daily and it's never really a feeling I think I can fully go with. I've said it before, but either way we'd be totally happy. At first I really though I'd want a girl 100%, but as time has gone by, I've become really, really excited about the possibility of having a baby boy. The idea of our subsequent kids having a big brother, having it just be "me and my boys" for awhile...that's such a fabulous scenario. But on the other side, little girls are so magical and adorable. It's hard to choose, but luckily, I don't have to! The "choice" has already been made, and all will be revealed tomorrow morning, barring the baby isn't uncooperative. My friend Erin (who also blogged about me a couple of days ago, check out my feature by clicking here), recommended I drink something sweet, like orange juice, about thirty minutes before my ultrasound to get the baby moving. So I'll definitely be doing that. My parents and sister are coming up to attend the ultrasound, along with Hank's sister and both set of his parents and step parents. It's going to be quite the event. Of course they all won't be in the room when we initially find out, but the ultrasound tech will be projecting the image up on the large screen so towards the end everyone can come in and see the baby for themselves. Now I just need to focus on getting through the rest of the day- my anticipation level is so high I feel like I'm 8 and this is Christmas Eve!

So here are the old wives' tales-

1) This one you can do just by looking south: if you're carrying high, break out the pink. If your bump is low, you're carrying a boy.

I'm not sure how I'm carrying, since my bump isn't super big. Hank says it seems high but I'm really not sure! Someone else said high too, so I'll just go with that for this one!
GIRL!
2) Next time your OB pulls out the Doppler to listen to baby's heartbeat, ask her to tell you what the heart rate is. According to legend, 140+ beats per minute indicates a girl, and below 140 a boy.

The heartbeat has been consistently in the 150s at every appointment.
GIRL!

3) Craving ice cream every single day? Some people believe this means it's a girl. If you have to have salty or sour stuff, then it's a boy.

I've definitely been craving sweet things. I've never been a sugar or candy person but lately things like Starburst or other fruity candies sound really good, which is totally surprisingly for me! I don't go crazy but every once and awhile I'll have something sweet like that. So good.
GIRL!

4) This ancient method uses your age at conception and the month you did the deed to determine gender. Click here to see the chart.

GIRL!

5) This one's a little out there. Pee in a cup (you've been doing it at all your prenatal appointments anyway, haven't you?), mix a tablespoon of Drano in, and watch to see if it changes color. Green = girl, and blue = boy.

Okay, I was a little hesitant about this one but I did it! And it was blue.
BOY!

6) Legend has it that the Mayans determined a baby's sex by looking at the mother's age at conception and the year of conception. If both are even or odd, it's a girl. If one's even and one's odd, it's a boy.

27 years old at conception, in 2010

BOY!
7) This is one for a friend to try. Place a key in front of your preggo friend and ask her to pick it up. If she grabs it by the narrow part, she's in for sugar and spice and all that. If she picks it up by the round part, it's snips and snails.

Luckily someone did this to me earlier in my pregnancy and I picked it up on the narrow part.

GIRL!


8) If you're breaking out like crazy, blame it on your girl babe. The belief goes that girls steal their mother's beauty, hence, those annoying zits.

Oh lord. My skin was a total disaster during the first three months, and here and there it still gets crazy.

GIRL!


9) Pop off your wedding ring -- if you still can! -- and tie it to a string. Hang it over your belly. If it swings in a circle, a little guy's in your future. If it goes back and forth, you've got a girl.

GIRL!


10) Sick as a dog during the first trimester -- or still? Signs indicate you're having a girl. Little or no morning sickness points to a boy.

I haven't had anything even close to morning sickness, luckily. I've felt like a million bucks the whole time.

BOY!

Total count: 7 girl and 3 boy...so according to these old wives' tales, I have a 70% chance of having a girl! We will see soon enough.

I'll be back tomorrow with the results of the ultrasound! And don't forget you can still vote for the gender of Baby H up there in the right hand corner. As of now, 726 readers have offered a guess, and 316 (43%) think I'm having a boy, and 410 (56%) think girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment