Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tattoo Tuesday V.18

Yay for my girl Mercedes and yay for her letting me feature her here! I've known this gal for quite some time now, and she even lived here in Prescott for awhile. I wish I could convince her to move back so we could have some fun girl time! She's gorgeous, and funny, and so blunt it makes me laugh. I know you'll love her and all of her advice. So without further adieu, Ms. Mercedes!



Name: Mercedes Hernandez

Tattoo/location: Bearded Lady / Backside of left calf

Artist/shop/location: Chris Lacy / Soul Expressions / Temecula, CA



1) Tell us about the tattoo you are sharing with us- is there a background story or special meaning? Why did you choose this particular piece of art?

The artist originally drew this for the invite for a party his wife and I were throwing for our birthdays. Wouldn't it be great if it were socially acceptable for women to have beards and mustaches? Honestly, the tattoo doesn't have any particular meaning to me. I just love it. I'm not sure if I'll ever get it colored-in as it hurt pretty fucking bad. (Dani, can I curse on your blog?)

2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where?

I have 'Esco Por Vida' on my chest, a Neutral Milk Hotel tattoo ever so awkwardly on my forearm, an anchor under my chin, an unfinished GG Allin tattoo on the back of my right arm, 'Honestly' tattooed across my foot, 'Say Yes' tattooed on my wrists to name a few others.





3) Do you plan on getting more?

Mostly, I would like to get stuff redone. My skin is always so ashy no matter what, and no colors really pop. What a drag.



4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them?

Growing up, my dad owned two tattoo shops. Needless to say, he didn't care. As for my mother, I'm pretty sure I can do no wrong in her eyes. My brother, sister and aunt are all heavily tattooed, even more so than me. The amount of family members I have that aren't tattooed is shrinking as everyone gets older.

5) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

Shit.

I'd like to think we're civilized enough as culture that we don't gasp, cover our children's eyes or make snide comments under our breath when a pretty girl with tattooed sleeves walks into a room. Unfortunately, we are not. I know some people who are tattooed with all really meaningful and beautiful stuff and then the 400 lb woman in Ross says something shitty within earshot and bums them out. If you can take it and want to express yourself in that way, then I say go for it. However, if you're sensitive to that sort of thing (which I am on occasion,) then I wouldn't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment