Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day...to me?

 {image via weheartit}

Before Hank, I spent many Valentine's Days being annoyed at all of the couples holding hands, being cute, and rubbing it in my face that I didn't have that special someone, to spend this special day with. Now, I like all things love and mushiness, but somewhere inside of me is still that girl who is irritated by the huge stuffed teddy bears and gigantic heart-shaped boxes of candy. My perfect Valentine's date? Getting takeout burritos and watching a funny movie. Luckily Hank is romantic in the same way I am, and there will never be any "When a Man Loves a Woman" playing in our home. But it makes me think back to my Valentine's Days before I found the great love of my life. Although I was like I mentioned, annoyed from time to time, I often tried to make Valentine's Day a day about love...but the love I have for MYSELF. So hey you, single or not...let's show ourselves some love today. Pamper yourself, treat yourself to a truffle...'cause guess what? YOU DESERVE IT!

With that said, here's a list of 7 ways to love yourself now, and to have the happiest Valentine's Day ever. If you still have the need to call someone your Valentine, I'm your girl too! ;)

1) Get your ipod and find your most favorite, happy song. Dance like no one's watching for the entire thing. Shake your booty, jump around, be silly.

2) Look in the mirror and repeat the following to yourself 5x, making every word count: "Dang girl, you fine." You'll either believe it, or you'll laugh. Both are good. :)

3) If it's not too cold, take yourself out on a bike ride. Work it going up hill, and then coast gloriously home on the down.

4) Call up the fanciest restaurant in town and order yourself a dinner in. Light some candles and really just enjoy that delicious food without anyone else there to take away from the experience. Savor it and really focus on all of the amazing tastes you are experiencing.

5) Get out that super pink or red nail polish and give yourself a totally gaudy Valentine's pedicure. Or better yet, go to the nail salon (it'll be empty) and treat yourself to a nice mani-pedi. Foot massage? Okay!

6) Go to the store and buy the cutest, sexiest lingerie, and wear it just for you. Prance around the house, feel beautiful, and enjoy it because "dang girl, you fine." (see above)

7) Write yourself a love letter. Sounds weird, but it's such a great exercise to list all of the reasons your love yourself. And if you find this tough to do, take it as a sign that you need to work more on this. You are so lovable, and if you don't see it, I'm sure many other people do!

I promise you, Valentine's Day can be fun if you kind of flip the focus. It doesn't have to be about the sappy stuff we see all over the place. And I know, easy coming from a happily married old sap, but I consider Madeline and Henry my Valentines too, as well as a bunch of my girlfriends all over the place. Love comes in different forms, and no one says that we can't be our own! 

So, happy Valentine's Day to you...and me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment