Monday, February 14, 2011

Tattoo Tuesday V.57


Name/blog name: Don Naylor  //  adelinesdaddy.com
 (editor's note: you guys have to stop by Don's blog- it's one of my favorites and a daily read- I definitely recommend it!)

Age: 33

Occupation:
 
graphic design // co-owner allinmerch.com

Age of first tattoo:
 
18

Favorite tattoo:
 I would get in trouble if I didn't say the tattoo of my wife. It's actually true though, ;) 

Featured tattoo/location:
 
Tattoo of my wife as a pin up for anniversary, left arm

Artist/shop/location of feature tattoo:
 
Jason Loui, Goodfaith Tattoo, Brookline MA



1) Tell us about your featured tattoo- is there a background story or special meaning? Why did you choose this particular piece of art? 

I had been planning on getting a tattoo of my wife in time for our anniversary. My friend had been going to Boston and Portsmouth to get tattooed by Jason Loui, and the work was always amazing, So I decided that I would get at him about doing the tattoo for me. I contacted him through email with a description of what I was looking to get.. a pin up version of my wife (sounds fresh, and should get me some good husband points). The day of the start of the tattoo, I arrived to look over the sketch, it was insane... and HUGE. I initially was thinking of a simple piece, maybe 4"X3" or so, but this think was too rad to not go big with. It is a lot more curvy than my wife is in real life, but I think it works pretty well for the style. I did however ask him to tone down the size of her chest, I think he is a boob guy- those things were pretty massive. We sized the line art up on the stencil and put it on my arm and commenced the permanent homage to the woman I had dated for 8 years, married for 2, and would have my daughter with a year later. 



2) Do you have any other tattoos?  If so, what do you have and where?

I have one sleeve, which is basically one big piece. My friend Dustin Horan (Dead Presidents Lounge, Albany NY) hooked me up on this one. I had always been interested in eastern culture and the peaceful imagery that was common in Japanese themed tattoos. I basically just let him go to town.  It's almost all done freehand. I have 2 varsity X's that I got early on, basically youth crew straight edge style. I'm still drug and alcohol free, so no regrets. Uncommon for myself I have a movie quote inspired script on my hand. When I watched "the Shawshank Redemption" (sick movie) I was really struck but the part when Tim Robbins said "get busy living, or get busy dying". This pretty much summed up my outlook on life so I got "Busy Living" on my hand to reming me each day (Tattoo also by Jason Loui). On my left forearm I have some roses with pretty female faces coming out of them on a vine and a winged lightning bolt. I still have a bunch of room, and a lot more of life to document.
  
3) Do you plan on getting more? 
Right now I am planning something to commemorate the birth of my daughter. When I worked for Equal Vision Records, there were some older (old school) guys that had their baby's names tattooed on them, I always thought it was an awesome rite of passage. I would always run into these sick tatt'd old school guys that were such good fathers and so sweet to their family. It made an impression on me, I decided that I had to get a tattoo for my wife, and in the future, one for my daughter.  I'm really thinking it through, right now, Maybe something that is "pappa bear, baby bear themed" we'll see what develops. I've been in a tattoo hiatus for a while, but I think I'm excited to get on the bandwagon again.


4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)?  Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them? Do you have a significant other? Does he/she have tattoos? 
I feel that I have been lucky to not run into much close mindedness due to my tattoos. Since I have had tattoos I've either been in a band or worked in the music industry, so no prob. there. My family has always been accepting of my alternative ways from being a teenage skater punk, to dying hair, wearing weird cloths etc. up to the time I stared getting tattoos. Despite looks that I've had over the years, I've always been a straight shooting no trouble dude and I think my family always recognized that. I've always been interested in art, and this is another form. I know there are common stereotypes held by some sections of society. However, you are a lot more likely to see me reading a book and drinking tea than causing any mischief. My wife doesn't have any tattoos, but over the years she's expressed a desire to. I'm not sure why it never happened, she would probably look sweet with some nice artwork on her. I couldn't image her being any more beautiful that she is right now, so if it ain't broke, don't tattoo it I guess.

 
5) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

 For this answer, I'm going to make pretend you are my daughter, take my advice as you will, I know kids don't always listen to their Dad... although THEY SHOULD... 

Now I know you have expressed interest in getting a tattoo, but let me go over a couple of things that I would like to suggest as your Dad. I would suggest that you wait 'til you are at least 25 to start getting heavy into it, I mean from my experience, that is what works best. I can understand that my way doesn't work for everyone, so if you are going to get one earlier, thats fine. Just make sure you contemplate what you are going to get for a while (months) to make sure it will be something that you are really going to want down the road. Did you ever see the sick tribal tat on Daddy's leg, well he just had to run out and get a tattoo as soon as he was old enough without thinking about it, proof... think about it. Please research good tattoo artists that work in the style you are looking for. They may be expesive and they are expensive for a reason, please don't try to go with the cheapest artist you can find, this is permanent, you want it to be ultra rad (yes I will say rad to my daughter). Lastly, you'd better not get a tattoo with Johhny from up the block's name written on it, I will walk up the street to his house and choke him.

No comments:

Post a Comment