Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Slice of...St. Louis, Missouri


Hi there! My name is Jillian Pye, I am a wife & a mommy and a do-er. haha. I blog about my family's little life here and that life currently consists of getting ready to take off on the road traveling in support of my husband's music. I love creating and just recently collaborated on a stop motion film for one of my husband's songs. I make pretty things, find pretty things & sell pretty things :) I am a calculated risk taker, a child & an old soul simultaneously, and I believe that love is a choice you have to make everyday.

So let's get started shall we?

I have lived on the Illinois side of St. Louis, MO my entire life--but I claim it as my own. ;) I have loved St. Louis for as long as I can remember, driving over the Mississippi River and being greeted by the Arch is always a great feeling. St. Louis may seem like a tough nut to crack, but you just have to be looking in the right places for the gems that you seek.

First, I will start with an area that is very dear to me currently: Soulard!

We attend church in this historic neighborhood, it hosts the second largest Mardi Gras celebration, and has the most amazing pubs & shops! My all time favorite spot in the neighborhood though is: Soulard Farmer's Market.



It is always bustling with people, you get amazing deals on produce, meat, cheese and so much more. I can rarely leave with out picking up some of the famous mini donuts and a fresh bouquet of flowers. The market not only supports and is the lifeline of many small farms & hardworking families--but also helps local artists by hosting craft shows at the park next door. 

Another spot I love is The City Museum, which might sound boring--but it is the complete opposite of that my friends...it is AMAZING!


Where else can you find a theme park, aquarium, circus, art gallery, diner, vintage shop and so much more under one roof? A bonus is that pretty much everything is made from repurposed items...If you are ever in St Louis this is a MUST visit. They have something fun for every age and every taste--and the world's largest pair of underwear (totally not joking) :) I have an extremely fond memory of visiting the City Museum and painting a shoe---they do the zaniest things, but that's what makes it so fun.

St. Louis is really great because so much of what they have to offer is completely free---and that leads me to my next happy place in the city: Forest Park. The Park hosted the 1904 World's Fair! Pretty amazing. One of our favorite places to visit as a family in Forest Park is the St. Louis Zoo. it is a very large zoo full of incredible animals and exhibits.(two photos)


 

We took Cash there for the first time this past summer, and he adored it. Also topping my favorites in the park are Art Hill, The Jewel Box, & the Turtle Playground. (But they also have a figure skating rink, boat house, outdoor theater and more!)

I don't make it out dancing very much---but when I do, St. Louis has SO many great independent clubs! Our favorites are London Calling & That 80's Club.


We are friends with a few of the dj's in the city, and that makes it even more fun to go out. St. Louis also has some great music venues we love bigger venues like the Fox and the Pageant---but also intimate settings like The Firebird, my husband plays there from time to time.


Wheeew. I am already worn out and there are so many great spots left to talk about...

I think I will leave you wanting more, and end your virtual visit here. But just know that there is so much more for you to discover (Busch Stadium, the Botanical Gardens, The Loop) if you ever make it to town!

Thanks for letting me chat with you about a city that I have so much love for.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment